If you are looking to increase your metabolism the natural way, there are many kinds of foods that can help you to not just feel great and energetic, they help with weight loss too. Here are some of the best kinds of wholesome foods that boost your metabolism and ensure steady energy all day long.
1. Protein-Rich Foods
Pump up your body with protein-rich foods as they help to increase your metabolism effectively. These foods also aid in reducing the drop in metabolism when you are losing weight by helping you to hold on to muscle mass. Protein also keeps you more satiated and control hunger pangs – which prevents you from overeating.
Some of the healthiest proteins to include in your diet:
- Nuts and seeds
2. Iron-rich foods
If your diet is low in iron, it can slow down your metabolism. You will often feel tired, and thus tend to load up on carbs. Iron is available from both animal and plant foods. Some processed foods like flour, pasta and cereals are also fortified with iron – however it’s best to go for natural sources. Some of the best sources of iron to include in your diet:
- Vege: spinach, edamame, lima beans, beets, green peas
- Meats: beef, chicken, pork, turkey, organ meats (liver and kidney), duck, venison
- Fish and seafood: oysters, sardine, tuna
- Meat alternative: tofu, lentils, beans, tempeh, nuts
Spices can be a great addition to your diet when you set out to lose weight. Not only do they help to make dishes tastier, different types of spice have their own sets of health benefits that promote better digestion, metabolism and fat loss.
- Ginger helps to control blood sugar, which means adding some to your carb-heavy meal will help to prevent a surge in your glucose. Ginger also helps wth gastrointenstinal problems and accelerates digestion and thus boost metabolism. Fresh ginger may not keep for long, so it’s good to have a jar of ginger powder. Just add a tablespoon to your daily dishes or mix it up with honey for a spicy sweet drink in the morning.
- Cayenne has thermogenic properties, which aids in fat burning. Capsaicin, a compound found in cayenne shrinks fat tissues, lowers blood fat level and helps with fighting fat build-up by triggering good protein changes in our system, thus ensuring good metabolism as well.
- If you prefer something less spicy, go for cinnamon. This spice contains polyphenols, an antioxidant that has been proven to improve insulin sensitivity. Just add a teaspoon of cinnamon to a starchy meal and it will help you balance off blood sugar so that you don’t have energy fluctuations throughout the day. This sweet-smelling spice is great for appetite and cravings control.
- Other spices to consider are black pepper, turmeric and mustard seed, as these contain fat burning compounds as well.
4. Beverages – Tea, Coffee
For coffee drinkers, you’d rejoice that caffeine in coffee helps to accelerate your metabolism along with kick starting fat breakdown. However as it stimulates your nervous system, moderate amounts is recommended.
Green tea and Chinese tea are also powerful in helping with metabolism and weight loss. Green tea like matcha also contains caffeine and like coffee, it is an excellent energy jump-starter. It also comes with flavonoids which together with caffeine helps to increase fat oxidation and improve insulin activity. Chinese tea like Oolong is also known for its many metabolic and weight loss benefits.
Go for citrus fruits like grapefruit that is high in vitamin C as vitamin C helps to control insulin levels very effectively. Apples and pears have also been proven to help boost metabolism and aid with weight loss. A study done by the State University of Rio de Janeiro reports that people who eat three small apples or pears daily lost more weight than those who did not. Blueberries and strawberries are also wonderful superfoods to help with increasing metabolism. If you are not a fruit person, consider getting a cold-pressed juicer to get your daily dose of juice.